Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My mother has dementia. She's had it for a few years, but it seems to be progressing faster lately.

This is what I posted on Facebook the other day:
There is an impostor living at my parents' house where I grew up. This person looks a little like (an older version of) my mother, but she isn't my mother.
My mother wouldn't have to ask one of her children in what year she was married-she would know that information.
My mother wouldn't say her birthday was in January when it's actually February 16th.
My mother is not frail and tottery. 


THAT WOMAN IS AN IMPOSTOR AND I WANT *MY* MOTHER BACK.



I feel like I've been spending so much of my time dealing with and trying to process this "new normal" that I've started forgetting what she used to be like. What she really is like, underneath this disease that's taken her hostage. Hence this blog.

Read it if you want to. Don't read it if you want to. Comment if you want to - if you can do so in a positive manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment