Sunday, October 26, 2014

Color TV

I grew up without a color TV. We had 2 black-and-whites, and they weren't broken, so....no need to replace them. (I still remember seeing a favorite show on someone else's TV, and being shocked that the main character had blue eyes!)

All that changed during one of my summers home from college, when my college roommate was staying with me and my family for the summer. We had decided to buy a color TV to take back with us to college, so we bought one and triumphantly carted it home with us to proudly display.

Ironic, isn't it, that my father suddenly decided that he needed one after he saw ours.

So the next weekend we were on our way home, turning into our development's main street, and saw my father about to pull out on the same street. (We learned later that he was on his way to buy his own color TV.) Both car drivers did one of those classic "screech-to-a-stop-and-reverse" moves so we could say hello to each other.

My shy, quiet mother -- with no prompting -- leaned out of the car and said to her husband, "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"

No comments:

Post a Comment